Pages

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Wresting Color From The Canvas: House Rule #11 Special Edition!

This 'House Rule' and others can be found in Dan Millman's book Living on Purpose. I accredit all direct quotations regarding the House Rules to Dan Millman. The subsequent lay analysis is mine.

  1. Earth is a school and daily life is our classroom
  2. Our teachers come in many forms
  3. We learn best through direct experience
  4. Failures are the stepping stones to success
  5. Lessons reappear until we learn them
  6. If we don’t learn the easy lessons, they get harder
  7. Consequences teach better than concepts
  8. Only action brings ideas to life
  9. We can control efforts, not outcomes
  10. Timing is everything
  11. What goes around comes around


Our Universe is governed by certain laws. Of those, the 11th Law seems to be of particular importance--what goes around comes around.

Karma, in other words.

The reason that this piece is a special edition is that over 3,000 people on Facebook are about to view an image of a 39-inch, 40-pound, 12-year old Striper I caught on a fishing charter yesterday. After a quick photo op, courtesy of Captain Keith Starliper with Salfin Charters, the Striper was reunited with the surf off Plum Island in Newburyport, Masssachusetts.

When I was growing up, recognition for impressive catches was very important to me. It still is. More important, however, is my relationship with the fish that I do catch. I try to thank every mackerel that I rig up with the hopes of catching something bigger. I thank every striper, freshwater bass, sunfish, perch, carp and cat fish. I only pause for a photo if I know that I can do it quickly enough to get the shot without putting my catch in jeopardy, and most importantly, I don't keep anything I don't need.

I would have loved to be able to take that Striper home with me, to pose for a million pictures and to look at it all day, but I didn't need the meat, and a quick photo is all the proof that I need to remind myself and to show others that occasionally, remarkable things can happen.

This moment waited with infinite patience for me to ready myself to appreciate it. 

The Universe is an echo, like you might hear in a cave or an empty gym, across an ocean as flat as a lake and across a mountain range as high as the next passing cloud. What you inject into the Universe will inevitably come back to you in one form or another. The odds of me hooking up with a Striper that large were exceptionally low, but they were manifested by virtue of my demonstrating respect and appreciation for my catch, no matter how small.

Visit www.salfincharters.com to book your charter today!

See you on Facebook! starliper.corey@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment