Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2018

3/31/2018; the importance of friendship

I considered handwriting this post before realizing that it would be a waste of energy when I have a quiet house and a computer in front of me. That, and if I really want to upload directly from my mind to the cyber void for my readers, I need to start doing it instead of just thinking about it.

My winter-long attempt to hook up with a fish came to head as a huge bass demolished the trick grasshopper with which I was experimenting on the Concord River the other day. It broke my line. Ironically enough, it was one of the lures I had told my mom I would not use, as we sifted through all the crap in my room, because I didn't think it would work. She urged me to keep it. I used it, and now it's gone.

I'm learning to save money. I spoke to someone at work who told me of a boss he had who, just to prove a point, brown-bagged it to work every day for a year instead of spending money on lunch that day. The only day he ate out was on Friday, and on that day he ordered a slice of pizza. For every transaction he wanted to make, he would resist, and put the amount of money it would have cost him to make the transaction in a jar. Within a year, he had saved enough money to go on an all-expenses-paid week-long vacation to Las Vegas.

I did the math for myself. If I avoid spending money unnecessarily, it amounts to the equivalent of a raise of $11/hr compared to how I'm spending money now. I've started bringing my lunch to work and indicating in my ledger which transactions are justified and which ones are not. My goal is to have as much green on the ledger as possible by the time I need a fresh log.

I reached out to Jen again. She's been depressed, holding out on communication because she didn't want to be a burden.

Jen, if you're reading this, your company is not a burden. Not having friends is a burden. I may not know all the ins and outs of what it means to maintain a friendship with somebody, or how to talk to girls. I may say the wrong things at the wrong time, but nobody who takes the time to look through that and tries to show me that I'm stronger for it can possibly be a burden.

One of the benefits of having Asperger's is that I'm more closely engaged with the child in me than most people my age. I get to bring the values of my childhood into adulthood with me, and I think that understanding the importance of friendship and dedicating myself to the good of others has led me to a deeper awareness of what it takes to be happy.

I still have a lot of work to do, but when I get reminders about what it takes to be happy, the first thing I want to do is reach out to the people who raise me higher. You are one of those people. So I know that you know instinctively what it takes to be happy through whatever you're dealing with.

I'm here for you. Let me help.

I'll be uploading a post in the next couple of days out of Journal #1, so keep an eye out for it. There's a couple more things I want to touch on, including how I got myself completely organized and started being proactive, doing less work now so I don't make more work for myself later. That ties directly into expending energy on the most focused causal link, which continues to be a major part of my blog.

In what areas of your life can you save energy today? 



See you on my new Facebook page! theintrovertexposedcs@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment