Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The little things...

...in life make up the bigger things in life. Someone told me the other day that they admired my ability to see small things and to focus on them in detail. In order to do this I often need to focus on them to the exclusion of a else, and sometimes the reason for that is I'll have so much anxiety I can't focus on anything if I don't focus on something solid. I mentioned this in the post with the dissociation trigger warning in the title.

The reality is that I often let days go by when I don't see a goddamn thing. I exist. I float through life on autopilot, completely unaware of my own existence. It usually happens when I'm stressed.

If you think about bad things in your childhood, you think about emotions, but have you ever experienced certain sounds, smells or even colors that brought you back to those warm happy moments when nothing could be more perfect?

The reason that we were so happy as children, even growing up amidst negativity, even violence, is that we were able to focus almost exclusively on experiencing the world using the five senses. It was so overwhelming that it was literally all we had time for.

When was the last time you really felt your toes on a soft rug or really heard the sound of coffee brewing in the morning? When was the last time you felt a cold breeze blow against your cheek as you watched a warm winter sunset?

These are the moments that carry us through the ones we can't feel.

So stock up!

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment