Pages

Friday, October 21, 2016

Per request: What it means to really see someone...

Have you ever really stopped and watched someone?

I was taught from a very young age that if you love someone, you love them unconditionally. I took that to heart, watching crushes from afar, loving everything they did, every move they made, every word they said or didn't say, their anger, their frustration and everything in between.

It seemed to be the only thing that kept me going on some days, the only thing that got me out of bed and the only thing that ever got me to sleep. It was something over which to obsess.

The desire to connect with another human being was probably stronger between the ages of twelve and thirteen than it was before then or has been ever since.

But the concept of really seeing and appreciating someone has never left me. It hides. It sleeps, and occasioanlly it stirs and creeps up on me, and when I am so blessed, I get to see someone for who they really are, because I take a few seconds to watch them when they have no idea that I'm doing it.

The yield is a candid display of their most innate personality, a list of struggles that I can't read, but I can feel, because they carry their victories over them with supreme confidence. Even the most despairing of us can claim victory over struggle, simply for virtue of being alive.

Take the time to appreciate one person today, be it a stranger or friend. Watch them when they're not looking. Learn their ways, their walks, their expressions. It doesn't take long. Just a minute or a few minutes.

Just be careful...you might fall in love.



See you on Facebook and Tumblr! starliper.corey@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment