Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2016

We write in the voices we read...

Either this is happening with me and I'm emulating King or reading King is simply making me a better writer. I got part of my shipment today, an order for four King short story anthologies. I'll be compensated for them on the condition that I don't open them until Christmas morning. Over 50 short stories for free? I can live with waiting for Santa!

I went to the library today and did a little bit of creative writing. I had to leave early to address some things back home but kept working on the story using Google Docs on my phone. One thing I'm learning from King is that I don't need to color every single sentence with my own amazement. Sometimes the simplest, most direct sentences make more sense.

In The Stand, King is describing a monitoring system keeping tabs on all the dead people in areas of the facility of particular concern. One of them is the cafeteria.

"He liked this monitor least of all. 
He didn't like the man with his face in the soup."

This is straight forward, very clear and direct and allows King's readers' minds to run free with those words only, filling in the blanks from each of their perspectives on death.

I'm trying to do that in Safe Space. Also, I think I'm putting more effort into writing because King enjoys his own writing. He said that one of the short stories in this latest anthology is one of his favorites. It reminded me that I enjoyed reading my writing before I lost it all.

I actually enjoyed it

Hopefully reading King will help me to rewrite the stories I lost. Wish me luck!   

See you on Facebook and Tumblr! starliper.corey@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment