Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2017

What is anger?

This article was written by biology expert Regina Bailey and posted on About.com
"What changes occur in the body when we get angry? Scientists from the University of Valencia have discovered how anger affects the brain, hormonal responses and other body systems. Anger causes significant changes in brain activity, heart rate, blood vessel tension and hormone production. Anger is also associated with increased activity in the left hemisphere of the brain, particularly in the frontal lobe and temporal lobe.
Thirty men participated in the study in which each was induced to anger. Several vital stats were taken before and after the men became angry including heart rate, arterial tension, testosterone level and cortisol level. Their state of mind was determined as well. The results showed that when the men became angry their heart rate, arterial tension and testosterone level increased. However, their level of the stress managing hormone cortisol decreased. When angered, the men reported having a negative state of mind."
First off, a thank you to the men who participated in the study. I would never...not in a million years, intentionally expose myself to being induced to anger. So deeply do I value my serenity that the moment someone poses a threat to it, I am instantaneously roused to complete panic, and my first instinct is to flip out.
I realized today, however, that even if I'm provoked by someone else, I am responsible for managing my reaction to it. This comes in the wake of being completely thrown off balance by Olivia challenging me, which, by the way, is her job. As an adult, I am responsible for managing my emotions. As a toddler, she is not. She is the student, I am the teacher, which puts maintaining the intensity of any situation with her involved squarely on my shoulders.
I am responsible for my physical and spiritual health. I cannot neglect my emotional needs just because someone has thrown me off balance.
It is my responsibility to get back on the beam!
See you on Facebook and Tumblr! starliper.corey@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment