Pages

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Black and white thinking is too exclusive to be practical...

There are subtle shades of Gray highlighting every extreme decision that we make for ourselves.

I mentioned that I settled on a fishing approach. At the time, I meant it. Then I figured out that it's too difficult to get chicken livers to stay on the hook, even with the netting.

I will only go when I have a full day to waste. I will only fish one location. I will only use one lure. All of these are promises that I've made to myself with deep resolve.

I've broken all of them several times in the interim.

Black and white thinking can be advantageous, especially in times of increased stress, but as a rule it's far too restrictive to have a practical application.

I used to believe that I was at fault for every miscommunication that occurred between myself and someone else because it's been presented to me that I have Asperger's.

Do I have a crystal ball? Can I guarantee that EVERYONE who crossed paths with me in the last 33 years was confused by a non sequitur that I dropped?

No.

I used to challenge the Universe to give me everything it had in order to test my patience. Now I simply pray for the patience to wait for those obstacles to present themselves.

I'm okay with things not being in complete alignment. I'm okay with shooting for 95%. I'm okay with not having answers. I'm okay with waiting to be okay.

I am tempted in this final paragraph to dismiss black and white thinking as fundamentally maladaptive, but that, in itself, would be too much of an umbrella statement to make my point without folly.

No comments:

Post a Comment