Pages

Monday, October 23, 2017

Mindful Parenting

Now that Olivia is back from Maine, I need to realize that my priorities have shifted. Mindful breathing and mindful eating are still very important, but not nearly as important as my being present for my daughter.

Being present involves more than just being in the same room. It means enjoying the same moment, making her needs my needs, and fulfilling my responsibility as not only a caregiver but as a teacher. I am the first and foremost example of how to live that she has in her life right now. 

This scares me, but reflection on it has actually opened several doors that I've been utilizing in my interaction with her lately. One of those doors is the understanding that being a parent is a privilege. Olivia will be my legacy. I can raise her with my unique values while helping her to find most of her own.

My job is to expose her to as much as possible, consistently (not constantly) demonstrating to her that joy can be derived from the common place.

That means that in Olivia's waking hours, my phone stays off. 

So far I've adhered to my no flour eating regimen (I had a salad last night for dinner and broke a filling because they torched my steak tips). I have adhered to my bekandse chant in times of increased stress. When I remember to use my breathing in/breathing out mantra, I do so until I forget again.

Think I can stay off the phone and in the moment with Olivia when she's here with me if I promise it to my readers? Let's give it a shot!  

See you on my new Facebook page! theintrovertexposedcs@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment