Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Instruction Manual for Adulthood

I think it was my mom who told me that Olivia wants to be an adult but that she doesn't have the instruction manual for it.

It just occurred to me that I have an instruction manual of my own and I still don't follow it.

I still try to do things the easy way and pay twice for it later. I still spend money when I know I shouldn't. I still occasionally talk to people I shouldn't--I had a quick lapse with the chat app which has been causing me so much trouble lately and uninstalled it again last night, but not before being dragged at least part of the way down the emotional gauntlet that always waits for me when I do.

Why do I do the same things over and over and expect a different result?

You can only really make a mistake until you've become fully aware that action leads to consequence. Every time you repeat the action from that moment forward, you've not made a mistake, but a decision. 

99.99% of the stress in my life right now could have been avoided. I am responsible for managing that stress and for ensuring that I don't repeat the actions that got me here.

We are intelligent beings. We are aware, for the most part, of the major causal links in our life, particularly where they concern our serenity.

I intend to bear this in mind for the rest of the day.

See you on Facebook and Tumblr! starliper.corey@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment