Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2016

I spent the day on my piano yesterday...

I don't know what it was that prompted me to sit down and start working on my song, but once I started I couldn't stop. It's called Dust in the Sunlight on the Window Sill because I used to try to catch the dustmites as they danced in the sunlight that fell in through the windows. Never could get them all, hours of fun I wish I could have again.

I plan to incorporate the piano back into my daily or at least semi-daily life. It's such a wonderful outlet for my creative expression, which is slowly starting to come back the longer I stay sober. Last night I finally rewrote what I have of the song on the computer and broke it down into blocks of eight or ten notes so I can play it as I originally wrote it. There are no shortcuts to writing music, but it's worth it in the end.

Another result of my efforts last night is that I can play what I have completed from start to finish, which is a lot more satisfying than memorizing small chunks in the beginning and never having the chance to play what I haven't memorized. I'm just so glad I have access to the parts of life that really matter now, even if no one else has any idea what I'm talking about.

Someone sent me a video on being alone, and in the video, the writer said "if you have an art that needs practice, stop neglecting it."

It's worth the frustration if you love what you do.

See you on Facebook and Tumblr! starliper.corey@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment